CareerBuilder just published some entertaining results from a new survey highlighting some memorable mistakes people made during a job interview. Needless to say, if you are in the market for a job, take this interview advice and try and avoid these mistakes!
Here are some of the best job interview mistakes from the survey:
Most Harmful Common Mistakes
· Answering cell phone or texting: 77 percent
· Appearing disinterested: 75 percent
· Dressing inappropriately: 72 percent
· Appearing arrogant: 72 percent
· Talking negatively about current or previous employers: 67 percent
· Chewing gum: 63 percent
Most Unusual Interviews
· Candidate brought a “how to interview” book with him to the interview.
· Candidate asked, “What company is this again?”
· Candidate put the interviewer on hold during a phone interview. When she came back on the line, she told the interviewer that she had a date set up for Friday.
· When a candidate interviewing for a security position wasn’t hired on the spot, he painted graffiti on the building.
· Candidate wore a Boy Scout uniform and never told interviewers why.
· Candidate was arrested by federal authorities during the interview when the background check revealed the person had an outstanding warrant.
· Candidate talked about promptness as one of her strengths after showing up ten minutes late.
· On the way to the interview, the candidate passed, cut-off, and flipped his middle finger at the driver who happened to be the interviewer.
· Candidate referred to himself in the third person.
· Candidate took off his shoes during the interview.
· Candidate asked for a sip of the interviewer’s coffee.
· Candidate told the interviewer she wasn’t sure if the job offered was worth “starting the car for.”